Nino is the main character, and the first character to be introduced. He is an amnesiac human boy who is a little wary of monsters. He can't recall why he woke up in the forest, or how he got to the monster world from the human world at all. His ability is Healing Hands, and chooses to fight with a sword.
His Mastery level is Novice.
His Unique Stat is Charm.
Appearance[edit | edit source]
Nino has short chestnut brown hair, which comes down to slightly spiky ends that poke out around the sides, and folds up to two hair intakes above his bangs. Atop his head is a single cowlick, always isolated from the rest of his hair, giving him a semi-chaotic semi-combed hairstyle overall. His eyes are blue, which he personally describes as "very clear blue eyes, as clear as the shimmering ocean itself."  His outfit consists of a green shirt with brown short sleeves and a brown high collar, and two belts atop it, one across his waist and one wrapped around his torso like a shoulder sash. He wears brown shorts over white tights, and brown boots covering up to his ankles. It is stated that this outfit must come from money as seen from heavenly treats dialogue in Red tulip Town and further implied through comparing Nino's clothing to other people's outfits.
As a child, Nino's hair was more properly combed, and lacked the spiked ends he now has. He wore a white shirt with orange sleeves.
In the flashback he has to the orphanage in the human world, it is shown that he wore clothing resembling the children around him. It consisted of a baggy long sleeved white shirt, and a baggy pair of loose sky blue pants, which he was later shown changing from to his current outfit.
History[edit | edit source]
Early Life[edit | edit source]
Little is known about Nino's life prior to awakening in the monster world, though the few flashbacks that are shown indicate that as a child he lived a happy life with two adult guardians with whom he liked to garden. He seems to have been a curious young boy with a social outlook on life, learning how people work and learning surface level knowledge on many things.
Then in 4526, the War of the Barrier Breach occurred, with the fifteen-year-old Nino becoming caught in the conflict. In that brief and turbulent period, it appears that Nino's guardians had died, leading to him being admitted into an orphanage some time later. However, the orphanage would be very neglectful, leading to Nino taking charge of many of the younger children there.
Three years later, an accident befell the orphanage. One of the younger children, while playing alone near the Barrier, was caught in a rift and disappeared. Days later, her brutally mutilated corpse was found, with a bloody red spade carved through her chest and the words 'Don't mess with us' scratched into her arms. This incident would become the talk of the town, driving Nino to set out for the monster world seeking vengeance as well as an unspecified 'destiny.'
Waking up in the Monster World[edit | edit source]
One day, Nino awoke in the Forest of Illusions with no memory of who he was, where he was, or how he got there, only knowing that he came there for a purpose. Shortly afterwards he found, healed, and befriended the banished monster Five, and got a lantern which helped him navigate the dark forest. and after heading deeper into the forest came across Ludwig. While the ghost-dog was initially hostile to the two, Nino was successfully able to calm him down and get him to tag along.
After some traveling, the group then encountered a disguised Aria Elwyn, who had ran into them whilst looking for Ludwig. Initially mistaking her for a monster, Nino led them on a chase through the forest while Aria followed. This would eventually be cut short however, by the appearance of two spears heading straight for them. Luckily Nino, Five, and Ludwig were able to stop running just before the first spear hit as Aria proceeded to shoot the second spear out of the way in a show of solidarity.
Having proven herself to be trustworthy, Aria joined the group, disguising Nino as a monster using her ability and helping to come up with an alibi to slip the two past the spear-wielding Royal Guard Kotori.
Personality[edit | edit source]
Etymology[edit | edit source]
Nino is a name of multiple origins, with both Spanish and Italian-Hebrew being the most popular, in Spanish the name simply means young boy while the Italian-Hebrew meaning of the name means God is gracious.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Nino's birthday is on 8/11. In the story that makes him a Virgo, but in real life that would make him a Leo.
- The yellow flowers Nino finds in the Forest of Illusions are likely from seeds that fell out of human army rations over the course of the Human-Monster War.
- Nino, along with the princes Ruit and Suvillan are implied to have parties, Nino has already proven it with Aria and Meimona. Ruit is implied to have a party of Ruit, Lune, Kaji, and Selene, while Suvillan is implied to have a party of Suvillan, Kotori, Corona, and Solis.
- While he seems to be not the only one checking up on other party member's descriptions and characteristics, he is the only one able to deduce stats, though not his own.
- Nino has likely had 2-3 years of sword training, due to him not having a sword in the Barrier Breach flashback, and him having it in the orphanage flashback.
- Nino has knowledge on a large amount of topics, presumably from him reading and interacting with others, yet there are odd things which he knows about, such as checking for forgery on the sea pass.
- Nino seems to have a darker side to his personality when he's regaining his memories.
- Nino is ambidextrous, although he is predominantly right-handed. Interestingly, he seems to not be aware of that fact and believes himself to be right-handed.
References[edit | edit source]
- Nino's flashback here shows Corona standing over a battlefield in a turtleneck. Since Corona only started wearing a turtleneck around her twenties and that she was the one to enable the War of the Barrier Breach to take place, this means that the flashback could only occur during that time.